During this module of instruction, you will learn how a substance becomes toxic or unsafe. Many substances do not become harmful until a threshold of exposure is reached and your body reacts. Every human being is genetically different. Infants, children and the elderly are sensitive populations in which toxic substance exposures can cause more harm. Parents need to take a precautionary approach in feeding their children. An exposure to a substance may be safe for one person but toxic to another.
1. Describe what makes a substance toxic.
2. Recognize the risk assessment process is not reliable.
3. Describe the dangers of over-fluoridation.
4. Explain how the bioaccumulation of heavy metals may occur in your body.
5. Explain why toxic substances are dangerous to health.
1. Read Chapter 1 of your Unsafe At Any Meal book.
3. Survey your kitchen cupboard to identify what kind of flour you use. Read the ingredient label. Is the flour bleached? Visit the link at the end of this paragraph and determine how much mercury is allowed in the chlorine used to bleach flour. (Note: If the link does not work, you can download the pdf at the end of this page).