The content in this healthy diet tutorial was developed and used in three different clinical trials. Due to its success as an educational tool, it is now available to the public free of charge. As you participate in the tutorial, you will analyze components of the western diet to better understand how environmental and dietary factors interact to regulate genes in such a way as to protect your health or make you more susceptible to disease. Topics include epigenetics, changes in U.S. dietary consumption patterns over time, allowable toxic substance levels in food ingredients, regulatory role of FDA, conventional vs organic foods, micronutrients, and components of a healthy diet. The tutorial consists of eight (8) modules of instruction.
1. Identify environmental and dietary factors that impact gene regulation leading to health or disease.
2. Examine western dietary pattern over the last forty years and determine changes in the overall consumption of specific foods.
3. Survey kitchen cupboards, refrigerator and freezer to identify food or food ingredients containing toxic substances that may impact gene function.
4. Recognize available resources for improving family diet and health.
5. Create a healthy food environment at home.
Requirements for Success
1. Find a friend or create your own book study group to take the course with.
2. For best access to the FIHRI tutorial and webpage use the Mozilla browser.
3. Purchase textbook by clicking on the book cover picture at the bottom of this page. Alternatively, you may borrow it from your local library.
4. Complete all reading assignments. For every book chapter you read, there is one module of instruction.
5. Complete each of the activities as assigned during each module of instruction.
6. Use the weekly discussion questions to engage in a lively discussion with your friend or book study group. Alternatively, you may join a private Face Book discussion group where you can mull over the discussion questions for each module of instruction with people all over the world. Here is the link to the FB group. https://www.facebook.com/groups/UnsafeatAnyMealBookStudyGroup/
Dufault, R. (2017). Unsafe At Any Meal:What the FDA Does Not Want You To Know About the Foods You Eat.
Cost: $16.95 or less, depending on where you buy it.
Order on Amazon.com or at Barnes and Noble. Click on picture below to access via Amazon.