The content in this healthy diet tutorial was developed and used in three different clinical trials. Due to its success as an educational tool, it is now available to the public free of charge. As you participate in the tutorial, you will analyze components of the western diet to better understand how environmental and dietary factors interact to regulate genes in such a way as to protect your health or make you more susceptible to disease. Topics include epigenetics, changes in U.S. dietary consumption patterns over time, allowable toxic substance levels in food ingredients, regulatory role of FDA, conventional vs organic foods, micronutrients, and components of a healthy diet. The tutorial consists of eight (8) modules of instruction.
1. Identify environmental and dietary factors that impact gene regulation leading to health or disease.
2. Examine western dietary pattern over the last forty years and determine changes in the overall consumption of specific foods.
3. Survey kitchen cupboards, refrigerator and freezer to identify food or food ingredients containing toxic substances that may impact gene function.
4. Recognize available resources for improving family diet and health.
5. Create a healthy food environment at home.
Requirements for Success
1. Find a friend or create your own book study group to take the course with.
2. For best access to the FIHRI tutorial and webpage use the Mozilla browser.
3. Purchase textbook by clicking on the book cover picture at the bottom of this page. All royalties received from textbook publisher are donated to the Food Ingredient and Health Research Institute. If you cannot afford to buy the book, you may borrow it from your local library.
4. Register for the tutorial via email Dr. Dufault at firstname.lastname@example.org Why? We want to track who uses the tutorial and ask each user for feedback so that we may improve the learning process. Once you have registered with Dr. Dufault, you will be given a user name and password so that you can access all of the modules of instruction.
5. Log on to the tutorial and complete all reading assignments and activities at your leisure. Struggling readers may use the reading guide provided for each book chapter. Reading guides are located at the end of each module web page. Simply download the PDF and answer the questions as you read the chapter.
6. For every book chapter you read, there is one online module of instruction. Complete all of the activities assigned during each module of instruction. Do not skip any of the activities!! If you are using the book to prepare for the Food Ingredient Safety Specialist exam, you will need to fully comprehend the book and the food supply. The activities will provide additional knowledge needed to pass the exam.
7. Use the weekly discussion questions to engage in a lively discussion with your friend or book study group.
Dufault, R. (2017). Unsafe At Any Meal:What the FDA Does Not Want You To Know About the Foods You Eat.
Hardcopy Cost: $13.51 or less. Depending on vendor, hardcopy, audio, & digital prices vary.
Order on Amazon.com or at Barnes and Noble. Click on picture below to access via Amazon.